- Overview: Best CPUs for 2023
- Quick reference table for all categories
- Setting Expectations
- Welcome back to our “Best of” roundup series. We do these at the end of every year, and there’s a lot to catch up on. To set the expectation for this particular piece, and all the other “Best ofs” you’ll see coming up, this is intended to get people up to speed as quickly as possible.
- We have run thousands of tests over the past year. This makes it hard for us to keep track, but the purpose of these pieces is to both refresh ourselves on the data, and to get everybody who’s been out of the market for a couple of years back up to speed quickly – or even if you followed it closely, just a reminder.
- If you want the individual in-depth reviews for any of the components we’re talking about today, you can find some of those as articles here on the site, or definitely in video form on the GamersNexus YouTube channel. We will be including some charts to reinforce a couple of key points that we think are important, even if you’re maybe not as much of an enthusiast user, but if you want all of the charts, you can go back and check through the individual reviews.
Best Overall CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
The category for Best Overall CPU of 2023 handily goes to the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU. Priced at around $360, this CPU is a double-winner, taking our Best Gaming CPU category as well. Here’s why the 7800X3D is leading the pack: it is a chart-leading performer for gaming CPUs, and it’s also a great option for non-gaming aspects. Additionally, it’s compact and single CCD, making it easier to setup as opposed to other designs.
Most Balanced CPU: Intel Core i5-14600K & Core i5-13600K
The Most Balanced category goes to the Intel Core i5-14600K or Core i5-13600K, depending on the price, which are both equally competent options. These CPUs are strong overall performers with excellent competitive gaming and production performance, making them balanced in price and performance.
Best Gaming CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Best Gaming CPU of 2023 goes to the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D. This CPU is priced at around $360 and is a high performer in gaming applications, leading the pack with its exceptional gaming performance across a range of games such as Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty expansion, Stellaris and Baldur’s Gate 3.