Spice recalled across Canada after Markham restaurant food poisoning

0

The spice implicated in the food poisoning of 12 diners at a Markham, Ont., restaurant has been recalled across Canada.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency said a recall had been issued for Mr. Right brand Keampferia Galanga Powder due to aconitine contamination.

The aconitine toxin comes from the roots of the poisonous Monkshood plant, which is also known as Wolfsbane or Keampfeira.

The agency said the recalled product, which is a common spice in Asian cuisine and is also called sand ginger power, has been sold in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec, and may have been distributed in other provinces and territories.

Read more:

Plant-based toxin suspected of sickening a dozen diners at Markham, Ont., restaurant

York Region’s medical officer of health said 12 people went to hospital and four were treated in intensive care Sunday within an hour of eating a chicken dish with the contaminated spice from Delight Restaurant and BBQ.

Story continues below advertisement

Dr. Barry Pakes confirmed Thursday that the spice had tested positive for aconite toxin as part of a public health investigation at the Markham restaurant.

He said other packages of Mr. Right brand Keampferia Galanga Powder tested negative, but the distributor had voluntarily recalled the product.

Public health officials continue to recommend the product’s disposal, regardless of packaging code, out of “an abundance of caution,” Pakes said.

“We do not know if there was cross-contamination of this product, and the consequences of consuming even a small amount are very severe,” he said.


Click to play video: 'Kinder chocolates recalled over salmonella concerns'







Kinder chocolates recalled over salmonella concerns


Kinder chocolates recalled over salmonella concerns – Apr 7, 2022

One diner remained in hospital as of Thursday afternoon, though their condition was improving, Pakes said.

Symptoms associated with aconite poisoning can include nausea, vomiting, dizziness, weakness, irregular heart beats, and in severe cases, death.

Story continues below advertisement

The restaurant has been re-inspected and cleared to open by local public health officials.

In March, B.C.’s poison information centre and the Fraser Health authority warned the public not to consume Wing Hing-brand sand ginger powder after two people were hospitalized and later recovered.

© 2022 The Canadian Press

FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS

 

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! Vigour Times is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a comment
Enable Notifications OK No thanks