A family who spent nine weeks mysteriously unwell were shocked when they found out the source of their illness was in their pantry all along — in the form of snack-size peanut butter cups.
Mother-of-two Kelsey was confused as to why her family was constantly unwell. For “nine weeks” straight, she, her husband and their young son were sick — but only on Mondays.
“On Mondays, we would have 12 hours of fever, followed by about 12 hours of stomach cramps, or diarrhea,” Kelsey explained in a TikTok video, viewed more than 700,000 times in under a day. “And we could not figure out why we were sick.”
Strangely, their baby was the only one not getting sick, which confused the family even more.
“We cleaned the entire house, we didn’t invite anybody over for two months,” the exasperated mother recalled.
“We didn’t see anybody for two months because we thought we were going to get them sick.”
It wasn’t until she was at the hospital recently that the on-call doctor got to the bottom of the mystery Monday illness.
“His eyes [lit] up and he goes, ‘peanut butter,’” she said, referring to the recall in May, that saw several companies recalling products containing Jif peanut butter after an outbreak of salmonella infections.
“I was like, ‘no, that can’t be possible,’” she continued. “I checked our peanut butter. I saw the recall.”
When she got home, she told her husband what the ER doctor said and re-checked the peanut butter they had, not finding any products included in the recall.
“[Then] my husband says ‘what about the little peanut butter cups,’” she says. “‘I’m like, What? What cups?’
“In the back of the pantry I found individual snack size chip peanut butter cups that I had no idea existed,” she continued. “Sure enough, they are the contaminated salmonella peanut butter cups.”
According to Kelsey, she would use a large jar of peanut butter during the week, but on weekends when her husband would make breakfast for the family — except the baby — and he would use the cup, hence why they were always sick on a Monday.
“Turns out we’ve been giving ourselves salmonella poisoning for nine weeks,” she said in disbelief. “The reason none of us ever [figured out why] is because we were using the snack size portion, so it was never enough to send us to the hospital.”
In a follow-up video Kelsey assured followers she wasn’t mad at her husband for “poisoning” the family.
“Seven of the nine weeks that this happened there wasn’t even the recall yet,” she explained.
“Props to the ER doctor who figured it out,” she added.
According to the US Food and Drug Administration, salmonella symptoms can include fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. It can be particularly “serious and sometimes fatal infections” in young children, frail or elderly people however, as well as people with weakened immune systems.