Conor Benn mocks ‘GROUNDED’ rival Chris Eubank Jr after his father sensationally attempts to pull him from their catchweight clash… claiming the 32-year-old has ‘daddy issues’ ahead of October 8 bout
- Chris Eubank Snr is trying to pull his son from the October 8 London bout
- Snr doesn’t want his son fighting below 160lbs with the agreed weight 157lbs
- Benn has issued his response to Eubank in a post accompanied by a baby emoji
Conor Benn has mocked rival Chris Eubank after the 32-year-old’s own father attempted to pull him from their fight.
Chris Eubank Snr sensationally claimed on Monday that he would not allow his son to fight below 160lbs, with the fight agreed at a 157lb catchweight.
The fight is not yet off, as only fighters themselves can pull out of bouts, but Snr’s words have led to Benn mocking Jr, posting a picture of him and his opponent on Instagram with the caption: ‘Grounded’, accompanied by a baby emoji.
Conor Benn (right) mocked Chris Eubank Jr (left) after Jr’s father tried to pull him from the fight
Chris Eubank Sr has claimed he is pulling his son out of his much-anticipated bout with Benn
Eubank Jr and Benn are due to meet at London’s O2 Arena on October 8, re-igniting a family feud three decades after their fathers met in the second instalment of British boxing’s greatest rivalry, but the bout is in doubt after Eubank’s actions, first reported by Sportsmail‘s Dan Matthews.
Sources on both sides insist the fight will go on as planned, but on a video call involving both Nigel and Conor Benn, Eubank Sr told Sportsmail he would not allow his son to fight below the 160lb middleweight limit.
Nigel Benn asked his old rival: ‘So you’re putting your foot down, saying to your son, at 32 years old: this fight is not happening?’ to which Eubank Snr responded: ‘Absolutely.’
The 56-year-old also said he could take legal action: ‘If they’re not going to listen to me, then they’ll have to listen to my King’s Counsel. That fight does not happen.’
The two are scheduled to face off in London on October 8, but the fight is now in doubt
The move seems to have been made on the back of the death of Snr’s son, Sebastian, last year, with the former world champion claiming: ‘My son’s life cannot be put in danger. I’ve already lost one. It can’t happen again.’
Conor also mocked Jr on Twitter, posting: ‘Just sparred 10 rounds.. While someone’s having DADDY ISSUES.’
Significant financial penalties are in place should either fighter come in over the 157lb catchweight. But Eubank Sr invoked the memory of previous tragedies involving himself, his son and Nigel Benn to highlight the dangers of this sport.
Eubank Jr has been told that the fight is not happening if his dad has anything to do with it
Nigel Benn questioned his old rival’s actions, but Eubank Snr didn’t back down from his words
‘I gave my son his instructions and he chose to follow a different (path)… but he can’t override his dad. Because his dad is speaking sense and who will back me up? The public.
‘When they understand: I lost a son, Michael Watson happened, Gerald McClellan happened, Nick Blackwell happened, and the many warriors who have fallen or are disabled because of contests in the ring,’ he said.
‘You cannot come down in weight, especially against a fighter of the magnitude of Mr King, Conor Benn. This ain’t no joke.’